This is probably the most personal mix I’ve posted up here. It was originally made for my Scottish pen pal Jilli because I was finding out that she was in to a lot of great UK music but had missed out on a fair few of my absolute favourite bands from a few years ago. These are the bands that were playing shows and doing tours, releasing records and showing up on compilations when I was first getting in to the UK scene. A lot of them are from my home town of Northampton, but a lot of them aren’t. Some of them have long broken up, some of them are doing other things now, some are still going. Some names you’ll know and some you won’t. But these are, in a lot of ways, the bands and the songs who shaped the second half of my teenage years and kind of made me the person I am today. They mean the world to me, and I love having the opportunity to share them with other people. Anyone who downloads this one in paticular will make me insanely happy, so I hope you enjoy it and feel inclined to check out some of the bands further, and pass this mix along.
As always, click the album cover to download, and although the files may look like a mess in the folder, it’s all tagged up properly. I’ve also added a little bit of background to some of the songs in this post where I feel it might entice you a little more.
The picture on the cover is Tanaou playing at the last ever Soundhaus show before it was closed down. The mass of hair at the front on the left is me.
- The Jesus Years - Say Hello To Pink Floyd [Members now in Crash of Rhinos]
- One Toy Soldier - Anna Hyde [Members now in My First Tooth and Tellison]
- My Awesome Compilation - You Need Discipline
- Encyclopedia - You Can Say No (But I Hope You Don’t)
- The Don Ramos Players - Red and Blue
- Kapowski - Jean Michel Jarre [Members now in New Cassettes]
- Tellison - New York New York New York [An earlier single version]
- The Riverclub - The Sunshine Coast
- Meet Me In St. Louis - Right This Way You Maverick Renegade [Members now in Shoes and Socks Off]
- I Was A Cub Scout - Teenage Skin [Their drummer ended up in La Roux’s live band]
- Stapleton - The Storm You Never Knew About Blew Half The Island In To The Sea [Members also in Avast!]
- Dave House - Trafalgar Square To Anywhere [In The Steal, Pacer]
- Itch - Table Turned
- New Cassettes - Carnivals
- The Attika State - Anchors!
- Tubelord - Stacey’s Left Arm [Early BBC Introducing Session version]
- Dartz! - Once, Twice, Again! [Members now in Algiers]
- Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly. - Glass Houses [An earlier single version]
- Tanaou - Medicine
- Data. Select. Party. - The Woot The Hot The Hotness
- The Maple State - Temperate Lives [Members now in Ghost Saddles and Algiers]